Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fulfilled


I began my internship at the IMC in Murray. Wow... is it crazy busy. I usually get there by 7:30 and I'm  done at maybe 4:00. I get to see help patients with a wide range of disabilities caused by strokes, TBI, illness and disease. My therapy consists of  swallowing, cognition and language. I would never trade the experience I am getting now for anything and I'm a little hesitant to say this and put it in writing but I think I have found my niche. I hesitate because I don't want to be bound to one part of this profession quite yet. That is the beauty of my profession, I can work with infants, toddlers, school age children, teenagers, adults and the elderly. I have loved it all minus school age children. They are the best but I don't love the school as much as the other places I have been.  

Anyway (I ramble a lot), this internship has made me think in so many many ways. On a day-to-day basis I see people in grief, people thankful they are alive, people looking at the positive, people dwelling on the negative, people whose family don't show up to help them, people whose family show up and are extremely supportive etc. 

I see lots of families and people from all walks of life with one common goal: RECOVERY. 

It is amazing the people I have met and the stories I have been able to hear. I receive life advice and counsel daily from my patients and I love it. So.... as I said this internship, in the 2 weeks I have been there, has made my mind go places it never has. I have had to stretch my knowledge of medical terms and therapy, as well as think about life as a whole and why I'm here and all of the sudden life has become so much more precious and the people in my life have become even more important. 

I know on my blog I share some deep thoughts rolling in my head and I want anyone who reads this to know that these thoughts are my own. They are not meant to offend nor will they ever be. This is not a disclaimer for the rest of the passage but something I needed to say to ensure that no one will ever be upset by something I write. What I write is deeply personal and real. I love when others share personal lessons they have learned or gratitude they have felt or testimony they have developed, I want to do the same.

Back to the hospital, (my mind is a jumbled mess today) I have been thinking about how I am going to remember these sweet people whom I have gotten to know so well in the past weeks. I have decided I want to write a lesson I have learned from each one of my patients. I will never include names or identifying information so this isn't violating any laws, but it is going to help me remember the life lessons I have learned, promptings I have received and advice I have been given.

I emailed JD the other day and told him how my internship was going and I told him I loved it so much because I felt so close to my Savior. 

I had an impression the first day that I never want to forget. In my head I had the distinct thought, "Brynne these are your brothers and sisters that you are helping to function in everyday life. Isn't it a blessing you get to hold such a role in their lives?" I have never understood until that moment why people say, "my career is so fulfilling". 

I never went on a mission for my church which is fine but I love sharing the message of the gospel. One thing I love most about sharing the gospel is conveying to others how much their Savior, Jesus Christ, loves them and how through Him we will be eternal families. I know I can't preach my religion in a hospital but I can live it. I feel so lucky to hold a place in these patients lives... for a short time I get to help them recover, help them feel valued despite their circumstances but mostly help them feel cared for and loved. I get to learn to be more like my Savior. He heals. He listens. He comforts. He watched over. He wants the best for all of us. I am not saying I am these patients Savior but I am saying that I feel so close to my Savior by helping these people. I have never cared so much for people I didn't know and it is because the thought of helping my heavenly brothers and sisters became so real to me that day I received that impression. This career is so fulfilling. I love it so much. I never thought I would be able to say that about any career/livelihood (except motherhood) but I truly can now.

So for the next eight weeks while I miss my husband while he is working in Logan and I am here. I am going to write about lessons I have learned from those I have gotten to work with. These people are amazing and have touched my life more than they ever will know.

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful example to everyone! I sure miss you, probably more than you know. I'm glad you're enjoying it :D

    ReplyDelete